The holiday season is upon us, which means time to shop for loved ones. Outside of expensive technology and over-priced clothing, what are some good gift ideas for kids? Tools! An essential set of tools is a great gift for kids living away from home and first-time home owners. Although tools likely didn’t make their wish list, they’ll need an adequate toolbox or at least a few essential tools for the rest of their adult lives.
Photo Cred: Visa Kopu on Flickr
Essential Tools for Kids Away from Home
- Screwdrivers – Everybody should own at least three types:
- Phillips head
- Micro-screwdriver (for glasses and gadgets)
- Hammer – From hanging pictures to driving nails, hammers are a vital tool.
- Adjustable Wrench – A standard 8-inch adjustable wrench should handle most nut-tightening tasks.
- Tape Measure: This is especially useful when moving in (and out) furniture.
- Level: If you want straight pictures and shelves, you’re going to need a level.
- Wire-strippers: Ideal for the college student in your life, wire-strippers come in handy when setting up stereos and TVs.
Buy or Make Your Tool Kit?
All of the tools listed above can be easily found at your local hardware store or home-improvement department store (i.e. Home Depot, Sears). You should be able to find a basic “homeowner” tools set for around $25 to $40.
But who needs brand new tools? You may even be able to score higher-quality tools at a lower price by scouring your local thrift store or reuse store. The Habitat for Humanity ReStore always has some great finds.
So, tools may not have the pizazz of a new iPad, but we can almost guarantee they’ll have a longer useful life than the latest tech craze. This holiday season, give your kids a gift that’ll give back for years to come. They’ll certainly be thankful for their new set of tools once they actually need to use them!
The holiday season can be extremely busy. Mr. Handyman is the one-call solution to completing all of your lingering projects before guests arrive. Contact your local Mr. Handyman by calling 877-256-3376 or request service in your area. What can we cross off your to-do list?